Monday, January 30, 2012

If you are sexually assaulted in the military can you pursue charges outside of the military?

When I was in the military I was sexually assaulted, reported it, was released for the military (not becuase of the assault), and was still working with the military to pursue with charges but when I was to testify the military contacted me to tell me that they were not going to go through with the court marshell and was just going to release him from the military. Am I able to persue charges outside of the military? It never went to court or anything like that. This has really effected me and I feel that I need to see closer on this matter. Thank you.If you are sexually assaulted in the military can you pursue charges outside of the military?You could certainly sue the offender. As far as bringing a criminal case, that would depend on whether any civil government entity has jurisdiction and whether the circumstances of the assault even make it possible to prosecute. Sadly, there are times when you KNOW a crime was committed but the evidence just isn't strong enough to prove it in court.



Your best bet would probably be to consult a lawyer and get some truly qualified advice.



Also see a VA rep. You should be entitled to counseling services at the very least.

No comments:

Post a Comment