Thursday, January 26, 2012

Can a tall person be a pilot in the military?

I'm about 6'4" - 6'5". Is it unlikely that I could be a military pilot? Or is there any particular type that would be less likely? (I'd assume a small fighter jet would be much harder to fit into than some sort of cargo or transport plane.) Any input you have would be greatly appreciated.Can a tall person be a pilot in the military?My 2 cents from personal experience. Several years ago I was thinking of pursuing a career in military aviation. I stand about 6'3" and had the same concerns. I attended a Thunderbirds airshow in 1992 and was talking to the pilots afterwards, and I asked one of the pilots how tall he was and his answer was 6'5" tall. He was a fully qualified F-16 pilot. Yes, there are min and max height requirements for military officers in all branches regardless of specialty, but your height may not be an issue. The marines told me they use a system to measure distances between heel and knee, knee to butt, butt to shoulders, elbow to wrist, etc, etc, to determine if a candidate would safely fit in the cockpit. My best advice is to make a phone call to several recruiters for the different branches of military service in your area and ask to specifically speak to an officer recruiter and they would be able to answer all of your specific questions about how to qualify for military flight training, including vision requirements, college degree, etc.Can a tall person be a pilot in the military?
about 30 years ago no, you couldnt be over 6ft because of the clearance for you to eject from the plane but now it is different more tall friendlyCan a tall person be a pilot in the military?Yes you can be a military pilot and be that height - I know a retired navy pilot that is 6'4"
I do not know the specifics, but the military has certain height requirements for fitting into the cock pit safely. Air Force Academy has some of the smallest college basketball players due to the height requirement.Can a tall person be a pilot in the military?You must have standing height of 64 to 77 inchesCan a tall person be a pilot in the military?
I'm pretty sure the seats are adjustable. You just need OMG-WTF super good vision
Certain aircraft do have height restrictions. I believe that if you are over six foot you cannot fly the OH-58. Although many aircraft have adjustable seats, the 58 doesn't. The pedals are adjusted for leg length. From what I was told, Your head would hit the "green House" (top window) if you are too tall.Can a tall person be a pilot in the military?
Yes, i'm sure we've established that already. I think its 6ft. but.... the real reason i want to respond (and i apologize for being immature) is to point and laugh at Yahoo editing cockpit (c0ckpit).... TOO funny!! censorship over done



edit: ooh, the guy used a space... boooo.
I know a LCDR in the Navy that flys planes off of a carrier for a living. He is 6'4".
Of course, you need to be tall to be a fighter pilot but you may be too tall...
Yep! In the US Military, it doesn't matter... But short and stocky guys make better fighter jocks! We can take the Gs.

No comments:

Post a Comment